Guacamole Turkey Burgers


Avocado Turkey Burger PattyGuacamole Turkey Burgers



This past week, I faced an all too common problem in this dietitian’s household: my avocado was about to go bad! I’m not sure why this keeps happening, but I have developed a bad habit of buying avocados before they are ripe then forgetting about them once they are ripe. Instead of just making tried-and-true guacamole, I decided to use the avocado to flavor my turkey burgers for dinner!
Super delicious! Super flavorful! Super fast! Super easy!
Ok enough of the exclamations. But trust me, all those are true.
Avocado Turkey BurgersInstead of using egg and breadcrumbs to bind the burger, I mashed the avocado into ground turkey breast. I then seasoned the burgers as I would guacamole.
The burgers were awesome. They were moist and light (and green! St. Patty’s burgers, anyone?).
Avocado Turkey Burger with Side
While they held together in a skillet, I don’t know how they would work on the grill since they didn’t have the egg and bread crumbs to bind it. If you want to add these on the grill, I would add 1/4-1/2 cup of bread crumbs.
Guacamole Turkey Burger
Yields 4 burgers
Ingredients
1 lb ground turkey breast
1 avocado, very soft
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 c minced red onion
1/4 c cilantro, chopped
1 tbsp cumin
Lime juice from 1/2 lime
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
Directions
1. Mix all ingredients together, except olive oil. Form into 4 equal patties. Set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium high heat.
3. Add patties and cook for about 5-8 minutes per side, until cooked through.
4. Serve on whole wheat buns, or alone, and top with your favorite burger toppings. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment